1. An insect that carries a pathogen from one host to another is
called a vector.
2. The economic threshold is the lowest pest population density
that will result in economic loss to a grower.
3. Insects in the orders Lepidoptera and Coleoptera are major
pests of stored grain.
4. Obligate transmission of a disease occurs whenever a vector
ingests a pathogen from a host reservoir.
5. Any component of insect venom may act as an allergen.
6. The sterile-male technique works best when:
A. The target population is large.
B. Females mate repeatedly.
C. The pest species can be mass-reared.
D. All of these.
7. If the acute dermal LD-50 of an insect is 50 mg/kg, then:
A. 50 insects can be killed with 50 mg of the product.
B. One insect can be killed with 50 mg of the product.
C. 50% of the insects can be killed with 50 mg of the product.
D. None of these
8. Anaphylactic shock is best described as an extreme type of:
A. Entomophibia C. Allergic reaction
B. Parasitosis D. Envenomization
9. Vibrio cholerae, the causal agent of cholera, can be carried from
one place to another on the feet of flies. This is an example of
which type of transmission?
A. Obligatory C. Mechanical
B. Transovarial D. Facultative
10. Compared to first generation pesticides, the newer second and
third generation compounds are:
A. More selective and less persistent.
B. More toxic and less selective.
C. More persistent and less selective.
D. None of these.
11. What is the generally accepted mode of action for organophosphate
A. Chitin inhibitor C. Cholinesterase inhibitor
B. Stomach poison D. Respiratory toxin
12. Which of these denotes a type of host plant resistance
characterized by the ability of the plant to outgrow and/or
repair damage resulting from an insect attack?
A. Antibiosis C. Symbiosis
B. Antixenosis D. Tolerance
13. Which of these is a cultural method for controlling insects?
A. Crop rotation C. Window screens
B. Quarantine D. Sex pheromone traps
14. Which class of chemical insecticides is characterized by a
relatively high degree of environmental persistence?
A. Carbamates C. Synthetic pyrethroids
B. Organophosphates D. Chlorinated hydrocarbons
15. Which sampling strategy is best suited for insects that live
in the soil?
A. Sex pheromone trap C. Sweeping
B. Berlese funnel D. Light trap