1. Dorsal ocelli are found only in the larvae of holometabolous
2. If an insect's legs are removed, it may lose its sense of
3. Exogenous rhythms persist even in the absence of entrainment
cues from the environment.
4. The frontal nerves run from the tritocerebrum to the
5. Crepuscular insects are most active between dawn and dusk.
6. Compared to most learned behaviors, instinctive (innate)
A. More stereotyped
B. Less complex
C. Not subject to evolutionary change
D. All of these
7. When laying eggs, a female insect returns to her larval host
plant, even though she has not fed upon this plant during her
adult life. This is an example of:
A. Conditioning C. Habituation
B. Imprinting D. Instrumental learning
8. In most insects, the sense of smell is localized in the:
A. Tarsi C. Antennae
B. Maxillary palps D. Frons
9. In insects with dichromatic (2 pigment) color vision, maximum
color discrimination is in the range from:
A. Red to green C. UV to green
B. Yellow to blue D. Bee violet to bee purple
10. The mandibular gland substance of the queen honey bee inhibits
ovarian development among worker bees in the same hive. This
is an example of a(n):
A. Allomone C. Synomone
B. Pheromone D. Kairomone
11. If a nerve impulse started in the tritocerebrum and passed
through the stomodeal nervous system until it reached the
heart, it would NOT pass through the:
A. Recurrent nerve C. Subesophageal ganglion
B. Frontal nerve D. Hypocerebral ganglion
12. An insect's mechanoreceptors would NOT be sensitive to:
A. Body movement C. Sound vibrations
B. Wind speed D. Water vapor
13. Stridulation is a method of producing sound by:
A. Vibrating the wings.
B. Vibrating a resonant membrane.
C. Striking the substrate.
D. Rubbing body parts together.
14. In an ant nest, all workers are:
A. Adult males C. Immature males
B. Adult females D. Immature females
15. Which pair of structures have the most SIMILAR sensory functions?
A. Chordotonal organs and tympana
B. Stemmata and pressure receptors
C. Flex receptors and cerci
D. Antennae and hair beds