1. The pleuron is a lateral sclerite of the head.
2. An apodeme is an internal ridge of the exoskeleton.
3. The cement layer of an insect's exoskeleton strengthens the
4. All alate insects use dorso-ventral muscles to raise their wings.
5. The mesonotum and the mesosternum join together along the
6. In a male insect, which structure would lie below (ventral to)
A. Epiproct C. Aedeagus
B. Paraproct D. Furca
7. Which compound would be found in the exocuticle but NOT in the
A. Chitin C. Protein
B. Quinone D. Wax
8. To which body segment are the elytra attached?
A. Mesothorax C. Prothorax
B. First abdominal D. Metathorax
9. The shell of an insect's egg is called the:
A. Serosa C. Chorion
B. Amnion D. Periplasm
10. Which structure would NOT be found on an insect's leg?
A. Trochantin C. Coxa
B. Arolium D. Tarsomere
11. Which structure is unicellular?
A. Spine C. Gland
B. Seta D. Pile
12. What is the function of the micropyle in an insect's egg?
A. Water balance C. Respiration
B. Nutrition D. Sperm entrance
13. Which mouthparts lie between the labrum and the maxillae?
A. Hypopharynx C. Labium
B. Mandibles D. Palps
14. A line of weakness between adjacent sclerites that breaks
during molting is called a(n):
A. Apodeme C. Ecdysial suture
B. Apophysis D. Epistomal suture
15. Chitin is most abundant in which part of the exoskeleton?
A. Epicuticle C. Cuticulin layer
B. Procuticle D. Epidermis